Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sweet Potato Hash


It's been a while since I've been able to post a nice recipe. Life has gotten busier and busier, and needless to say, the creative juices flow a little less these days. I've been getting involved with Appa's a local sushi pop up, which has taken some time. I love getting to reach the locals, and I hope that I'll be able to continue to churn out fun recipes for everyone to read!

I think summertime goes hand in hand with clean eating. A few weeks back, I whipped up this delicious breakfast for my friend Grace when she stayed the night. I had planned to make regular hash browns, but I opened the drawer and saw a sweet potato, so I gave it a shot.


This hash is sweet with a herbal kick. I love the cinnamon and curry powder matched with the rosemary. It's beautifully fragrant and complex while maintaining familiarity. The flavor is deep and complex, while tasting clean, healthy, and hearty.

Sweet Potato Hash (Serves 2)
1 Sweet Potato
1/2 Onion 
3 strips Bacon
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Curry Powder
2 small sprigs Rosemary
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder 
1/8 tsp Pepper
1 tbsp Butter
1 tbsp Honey
Handful of Greens (spinach and baby kale)
2 Eggs 

1. Rinse and peel the sweet potato. Then, use a mandolin with the shredder insert to shred the sweet potato. If you don't have a mandolin, you can cut the potato into a small dice. It will take slightly longer to cook this way.
2. Peel and chop the half of the onion to a small dice
3. Heat a skillet or medium sized frying pan and add the bacon. Allow it to cook. Then, remove the bacon from the pan and chop into small pieces.
4. Without draining the pan, add the sweet potato and onion and bacon to the pan. Allow to begin heating, and sprinkle in the spices and herbs.
5. As the potato begins to soften, add the butter to prevent any sticking, followed by the honey.
6. Add the greens to the pan and toss them until they are wilted.
7. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Move the sweet potatoes to create two wells in the pan.
8. Break the eggs into the wells and cover the pan.
9. Once the egg whites have cooked while the yolk is still runny, remove the cover and take the pan off of the heat.
10. Serve immediately.

I love pouring a little hot sauce over the top of this hash and breaking the egg yolk to let it mix in. The steamed egg is soft and pillowy on the top, while the bottom of the egg gets a beautiful crisp. It's the perfect morning pick me up.


The greens add some additional nutrients. I love spinach and baby kale, and they both go excellently with the potatoes. All in all, it's not a breakfast you should make every day, but it's a great way to make your guilty pleasure hash browns a little better for you, without sacrificing flavor! 

No comments:

Post a Comment